Future Health Care Workers Celebrated at White Coat Ceremony
Health Care Connect, an initiative of the Chester County Economic Development Council recently held a White Coat Ceremony for nearly 75 area middle school and high school students enrolled in the 2018-2019 Healthcare Connect Academy. The younger students who will be participating in summer experiences that provide hands-on opportunities to explore health care careers each received a certificate and pin while the students in the pre-college program who are paired with a mentor and will participate in year-round learning and job shadowing received a certificate and white coat. Check out the headshots of these future health care professionals below.
The event was sponsored by Tower Health’s Brandywine Hospital with the organization’s President and CEO, Jeff Hunt, providing the keynote address. He shared with the group the path that led him to his current position as well as the following traits necessary to have a successful career in healthcare.
To succeed in a career in healthcare, you must:
- Be an expert in your field (especially if providing patient care)
- Have extraordinary focus and attention to detail
- Work well in high volume/high stress situations
- Be adaptable
- Be hard-working and focused on the goals
- Have compassion and see the person as a whole—not just the disease or condition
- Good interpersonal skills – all of my successes have been based on good relationships. Listen to what people are saying. Do what you say you will do. Follow through.
- Be an excellent, active listener, and truly hear what the patient is saying to you, and a talented communicator as you must describe complicated ideas in a way that people who do NOT have a medical degree can understand
- Develop trust with the patient and their Family, as they are placing their lives and loved ones in your hands
- Stay up-to-date with the latest technological advancements, and be willing to learn, constantly – your education does not end with your graduation!
In addition to the programs in the Heathcare Academy, Health Care Connect organizes an annual Health Care Best Practices conference. This year’s event will take place on Wednesday, September 25 at Temple University Hospital. Download a copy of the Best Practices Call for Abstracts 2018.